There is nothing quite like a huge omlette made with lots of lovely fresh wild mushrooms! I will do a recipe shortly buty make sutre you do not overcook the egg.
As with buying dried wild mushrooms, some are grow in a cultivated style and some are sold by provicial collectors. Most restaurants used specialist growers. As with dried wild mushrooms, the flavour of ones grown for market is slightly less but the freshness and supreme quality makes up for this in my view.
I do not think we should be snobbish about buying wild mushrooms grown indoors, it is a bit like buying wilds food or farmed food - so long as the process to grow the farmed produce does not destroy more wild produce then it makes ecological sense. (unlike fish farming which kills more marine life per farmed fish than it saves which is atragedy and one we need a solution to now) -see video below
Try the suppliers listed at the top and along the left side of this page - you will find that having mail order fresh mushrooms arrive at your door is actually quite exciting!
Now.. here is that omlette recipe I promised you - have a go this weekend:
1. Heat half the clarified butter in an omelette pan. Add the garlic and shallot and sizzle for a few seconds. Add the ceps, turn up the heat and toss until golden. Season and remove from heat.
2. Add half the parsley to the mushrooms and turn out onto a piece of kitchen paper to drain.
3. Beat the eggs lightly and season. Wipe the omelette pan clean and return to the heat. Add the remaining clarified butter, and when hot add the knob of butter.
4. Pour in the eggs and stir gently with a fork - do not scramble. Straight away, add half the ceps. Serve when eggs nearly done. fold the omlette best as you can
5. Cut a slit along the omelette and spoon in the remaining ceps. Dribble with a little reduced veal stock and good olive oil and scatter over the remaining chopped parsley.
NB: only part cook the eggs, leave them slighly uncooked
Editors personal rant:
Ok folks now for me to take your attention away from wild mushrooms and highlight a plight we all need to be aware of. I mentioned above about fish farming - please watch this video, tell your friends, share it - fish farming is not helping us. Change your purchasing habits - sure fish will get more xpensive long term but better that than having none at all - like wild mushrooms, if care is taken then we can enjoy fish as a treat and not use it like a never ending source to be abused.
If only farming was the answer.... sadly it is not
We are looking for buyers for field blewits and wood blewits. Please contact us if you are interested or know of anyone who might be. We are not a shop just father and son in law picking wild mushrooms
Petru Dorel Coaja on
Is anyone interested to import fresh porcini(ceps) from the EU?
You use this content at your own risk, we are not responsible for content posted, by posting, you accept these terms.
Wild Mushroom Identification - Recommended Books for All Skill Levels: Every amateur mycologist should have a decent library of books, here are the top five books I highly recommend for wild mushroom identification:
Never eat any wild mushroom without multiple sources of positive identification - do not eat any wild mushrooms just from viewing this website. SOME WILD MUSHROOMS CAN KILL. You use this content at your own risk, we are not responsible for content on this site. BY READING CONTENT OR POSTING CONTENT YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS.